The waterproof smartphone offers features like 4K video recording using a 20.7 megapixel camera, NFC for those convenient and secure mobile payments, and even a movie creator that allows you to edit videos on your phone before you upload them. There are also no shortage of apps that allow you to get the best out of the Xperia's impressive camera.
Throw in things like a Snapdragon 801 processor and a 3200 mAh battery and the Xperia Z2 makes for a pretty appealing package. It's also available in black, white, or purple. Look for it starting in May 2014 at Sony and Bell stores. Scroll down to check out the complete press release.
April 1, 2014, Toronto & Montreal – Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) and Bell today announced the exclusive availability of Xperia Z2, Sony’s latest premium waterproof1 smartphone that combines the best of Sony’s display, sound, and camera experience.
“With Xperia Z2 we are delivering unique experiences to Canadians that only Sony can offer,” said Ravi Nookala, President of North America, Sony Mobile Communications. “We have redefined the new standard for a premium smartphone once again with Xperia Z2. Bringing a powerful and sophisticated waterproof design coupled with a camera offering an innovative experience that captures memories in stunning detail through 4K video recording and new ways to use the camera with more unique Xperia camera apps. We are delighted to work with Bell as the exclusive provider of Xperia Z2 in Canada because of its support for innovative technology products and mobile data services that take full advantage of 4G LTE.”
“Xperia Z2 has everything mobile customers are looking for: NFC for convenient and secure mobile payment compatibility, premier camera technology for sharing photos and video, and an amazing screen for watching their favourite shows on Bell Mobile TV. Bell is very proud to bring the Sony Xperia Z2 experience to Canadians, and it’s all enabled by the super-fast data speeds of Bell’s world-leading LTE wireless network,” said Wade Oosterman, President of Bell Mobility.
This waterproof and dust-resistant (IP55 & IP58) powerhouse also has a dedicated camera button that’s ready to capture the action anywhere, anytime – both in and out of the water.
Xperia Z2 features Sony’s proven camera technologies to deliver the most advanced video recorder ever in an 8.2 mm slim smartphone2. The 20.7 megapixel camera is matched with 1/2.3-type Exmor RS for mobile CMOS image sensor, Sony’s award-winning G Lens and intelligent BIONZ™ for mobile image processing engine resulting in superb photo and video quality.
These features work together to bring you sharp, vivid and beautiful photos and videos no matter what the circumstances. With new enhanced video mode, you can now capture memories in stunning detail in 4K resolution (3840x2160 pixels/30p) at four times the detail of Full HD, delivering the world’s best camera and video recorder in a waterproof smartphone. Plus, SteadyShot™ image stabilization technology helps keep footage smooth even when walking.
The new Movie Creator allows you to trim and crop your videos so that you can easily pick out what you want to share. You can even insert dramatic slowdown effects at one or more places on the timeline of the video, then preview the results before you save and share your video.
The growing ecosystem of Xperia camera apps
Enhance the mobile experience with a growing range of innovative pre-loaded Xperia camera apps.
· Timeshift video: To relive every moment of the action in slow motion detail, the new Timeshift video app lets you shoot in 120 frames per second to select scenes where you can slow the playback speed for dramatic slow motion effects.
· Creative effect: Use a range of new creative effects for your photos and videos. These adjustments enhance your clips with a range of effects such as colours, image trails, mirror and motion effects.
· Background defocus: Simulate a shallow depth of field to focus on what matters. Background defocus captures two photos at different focus settings and blends the different depths together, leading to a blurred out background for more professional looking photos.
· AR effect: Now available for video recording, have some fun with your photos and videos with new augmented reality animations, including sound effects for video.
· Vine: Create short, beautiful, looping videos in a simple and fun way for your friends and family to see – all from your camera’s viewfinder. Plus, using the dedicated camera button, you can capture Vine videos underwater as well.
Entertainment that only Sony can bring - out of the box and at your fingertips
With Xperia Z2, you will have access to an exclusive entertainment offer that includes six blockbuster movies from Sony Pictures, including Captain Phillips, through the Video Unlimited service as well as a 30-day free trial of the Music Unlimited service and eight PlayStation®Mobile games.
Key Features for Xperia Z2
· Xperia Z2’s screen is built using the latest BRAVIA® TV technologies optimized for mobile. The 5.2” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ display for mobile with Live Colour LED provides the widest palate of rich natural colours for the sharpest images and a viewing experience that is as close to reality as possible.
· Fully integrated Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 processor with 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait CPUs and 4G LTE. The Snapdragon 801 also features the Adreno™ 330 GPU for rich graphics and gaming and a dual ISP for a seamless camera, camcorder and display experience.
· Near Field Communication (NFC) for one touch functionality such as mobile payments and connectivity with other devices.
· The Xperia Lounge app is pre-loaded on Xperia Z2 and is your ticket to a world of entertainment and amazing experiences. With a variety of great music, sports and film content, Xperia Lounge gives you access to competitions and promotions that only Xperia can bring you.
· 3200 mAh battery which provides outstanding battery performance with Battery STAMINA mode for longer-lasting battery life
· Available in black, white and purple
Sony Xperia Z2 will be available across Canada exclusively from Bell Mobility in May 2014 at Sony and Bell stores, The Source locations as well as select retailers, online or by calling 1-888-4MOBILE.