Next month, Nikon Canada will be releasing their first Wi-Fi enabled compact digital camera, the COOLPIX S800c. The device will combine Nikon’s powerful imaging technologies with Google’s equally-powerful Android operating system, resulting in a camera that can take excellent pictures and then easily publish them to various social networks from anywhere with a Wi-Fi connection.
With Android on the camera, users aren’t limited to simply uploading content to Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. In addition to being able to browse the social networks, users can also download apps and games through the Google Play store and experience them right there on the camera.
As for the power of the camera, it boasts an optical 10x-Zoom NIKKOR lens, 16-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor, an EXPEED C2 procession engine, built-in GPS for geo-tagging picture locations, and the capability to record full HD 1080p video with full stereo sound. Video clips can be instantly uploaded to sites like YouTube and Vimeo.
The camera will be available in September 2012 and will retail for $379.95.
Great Images are Now Trending: With Wi-Fi® Connectivity and Powerful Android™ Platform, New Nikon COOLPIX S800c is the Easy Way to Instantly Capture, Create and Share COOLPIX S800c enhances connected lifestyles, enabling users to instantly share great images from a device that includes features only a camera can provide – with the ease and versatility of a smartphone or tablet
Mississauga, ON, August 22, 2012 – Today, Nikon Canada Inc. announced the innovative COOLPIX S800c, Nikon’s first Wi-Fi-enabled compact digital camera, built to integrate Nikon’s powerful imaging technologies with the boundless capabilities of an Android operating system (OS). Designed for the always-connected user, the S800c delivers the high-picture quality and superior performance expected from a Nikon camera coupled with the communication functions and app-based versatility of a smartphone or tablet.
The S800c meets the needs of users who want to capture photos and Full HD (1080p) video with amazing clarity and colour. Its built-in Wi-Fi technology and Android operating system allow users to send and publish these files quickly and easily from virtually anywhere.
“With the COOLPIX S800c, Nikon has introduced a camera for those who want to capture stunning images and videos with a compact digital camera, and want to share their content with their friends and family,” said Gregory Flasch, National Advertising and Communications Manager at Nikon Canada. “Now users can connect to their social networks easily and instantly through the wireless connection, and take advantage of the vast possibilities of the Android operating system. The new S800c is truly the easiest way to share amazing images on the spot.”
Powerful Images Are What Connect Us
The focus on the quality of images that people can share is what sets the S800c apart from connected devices. Features such as the spectacular 10x-Zoom NIKKOR lens and the 16-megapixel CMOS sensor afford the ability to create photos and Full HD (1080p) video with unrivaled sharpness and clarity, whether up-close or at a distance, even in challenging lighting conditions. The S800c helps users create images they will be proud to share, while offering connectivity and additional benefits including the
● Optical 10x-Zoom NIKKOR Lens (25-250mm): Built to empower users to capture unforgettable moments with ease, the 10x-Zoom NIKKOR lens has wide-angle coverage that can produce precise shots whether you’re shooting up close or from some distance away. Additionally, the lens is bolstered with Nikon’s VR optical image stabilization for blur-free photos and stable HD video, even while handheld.
● 16-Megapixel Backside Illuminated (BSI) CMOS Sensor: Much larger than the CCD sensor traditionally found in smartphones or tablets, this BSI CMOS sensor excels in challenging lighting conditions, and provides images with vivid colours, low noise and exceptional contrast and sharpness.
● Powered by Android Technology: The camera’s connection features allow users to seamlessly connect, browse and upload to their social networks, including Google+™, Facebook and Twitter. Users can also take advantage of the full functionality of Android technology to surf the Web or even download applications and games onto their S800c. Just like a smartphone or tablet device, the camera has the capability to run camera-specific photo and video applications such as Instagram while
providing the benefits of shooting with a real camera.
● Google Play™ Store: The S800c provides access to a vast world of applications for games, productivity and personal communication/email.
Users are also able to watch videos downloaded from the Google Play™ store right on their camera.
● The Benefits of COOLPIX Camera Technology: With the EXPEED C2 processing engine, users will enjoy rapid response and speedy performance from their device. Additional benefits include the ability to use a camera flash to illuminate subjects, while continuous shooting modes capture up to eight frames per second (up to three shots) and help ensure no moment will be missed. A variety of scene modes and creative filters are also available for users to express their creativity and produce stunning images.
● Full HD (1080p) Video: The S800c makes it easy to capture Full HD
(1080p) video with amazing fidelity and sharpness, and with full stereo sound. Video clips can be instantly uploaded to popular video sites such as YouTube™ and Vimeo®.
● Built-in GPS: Ever wanted to track a weekend excursion or geo-tag a hard-to-find shooting spot? The GPS function enables recording of location information on stills and movies.
Easy Settings, Easy Connection, Instant Gratification Smartphone and tablet users will feel at home with the S800c’s familiar controls and operation, and will be able to easily navigate the camera’s many features and modes using the wide and bright 3.5-inch touchscreen OLED monitor. The camera connects to the Internet via open access to any Wi-Fi network. Upon connection, the user is prompted through an easy-to-understand setup process, similar to that of current Android devices. The COOLPIX S800c also has the ability to connect through Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) for a fast and secure push-button connection. Additionally, when a Wi-Fi connection is not open or available, the camera can transmit images and videos wirelessly to a smartphone or tablet, allowing users to share their images through a mobile network.
COOLPIX core technologies make it easy for users to create share-worthy images. Various camera modes help them capture the best possible image, whether it’s a macro shot of tonight’s eclectic cuisine or a scenic High Dynamic Range (HDR) shot of downtown, and the image is instantly ready to share. For maximum creativity, the S800c has 18 filter effects, including the new Toy Camera effect, Pop and Super Vivid colour filters, as well as Cross Process and Peripheral Darkening filters.
Price and Availability
The COOLPIX S800C will be available in September 2012 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $379.95. It is available in white and black.
Exclusive Canadian Warranty
Nikon Canada offers an exclusive two-year warranty for all COOLPIX digital cameras purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer.
Consumer’s investment is protected by Nikon Canada’s warranties with in-Canada service.
Nikon, At the Heart of the ImageTM, is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment.
Nikon Canada distributes consumer and professional digital SLR and HD-SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon’s Exclusive EXPEED, EXPEED 2 or EXPEED 3 advanced digital image processing system technologies. All Nikon Canada products are sold through a network of Nikon Canada Authorized Dealers. For more information on Nikon Canada and its products and services or to find a Nikon Authorized Dealer, visit www.nikon.ca.
Photos are available upon request.
Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories and release schedule may differ by country or area. Pricing is subject to change. Refer to www.nikon.ca for the latest pricing.